Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Work Heidi Work Heidi Work Work Work

A saying my youngest niece said about her Dad as he went off to his night job, having been at work all day. She looked out the window as he drove away and proclaimed: "Work Daddy work Daddy, work work work!". It seemed to have stuck in my mind, and the whole family I think.

I seem to feel that way lately. Although I had an unexpected 3 day weekend this past weekend and got so much done in my yard and office I still feel like all I do is work. But then I don't have much else to do! Don't get me wrong. I love my life, my husband, my family. But I can't seem to "get" into anything. Perhaps I am "in" to too many things!

I knit, cross stitch, crochet, do photography, love to scrapbook (though I think the day of the digital on line booking is here), love to garden, can put together a mean dinner, with dessert. I just feel like I am not getting anything done.

Funny, my 86 year old Mom told me the same thing the other day...and I told her that was her job at 86 to not do anything, yet that is what seems to be bothering me most, but I am not 86!

On Saturday my best friend Pat came over and we worked in the yard for 6 hours and got so much done. I am so happy. We pulled 2 huge new dawn Roses that had taken over the front garden bed and just were not easy to attach to the house. Roses seemed like such a good idea, but unless they are on a fence or a trellis, they are not. Tim and Pat planted an ever green by the front door, Pat weeded the life out of a bed by the steps. We planted yellow daffodils and red tulips. My Dad loved red tulips. I hope they don't make me cry in the spring.....
I love to plant bulbs, it is my little hope that life will go on and spring will come again! Don't get me wrong, I love love love the fall. But it is always followed by winter and the gloom of cold dark mornings to work and even colder and dark nights home.

Perhaps my work rut it is the loss of my favorite plastic surgeon in the whole world. My Tom Sanzaro dropped dead on Sept 10, 2009 at 58 young years old. He has left a huge hole in my heart, the OR, his practice and most important a huge hole his wife and children just cannot seem to get a grip on. None of us can. I keep expecting him to pop around the corner with his endearing, "Ho Ho Ho".

Perhaps it is that work is slow, I have been having to furlough folks for an hour here, an afternoon there, a day there. It is not easy and makes my heart heavy. But I cannot have folks sitting around doing nothing. The hospital is struggling, we were asked this morning to cut 70K from my little group of 7. That is 10K each. I do not know where that would come from except salary. And that makes me woozy just to think about.

So that is it in a nutshell. My thoughts for the day.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! How I feel for Tom's family! 58 is too young to go! You have a TON on your plate!!! I wish I could help you out...course, you'd need to watch the kids so I could! :0) tee hee. I love you and love seeing your blog get started...I need to get back to mine...house on the market, 4 kids in schools with 4 different schedules, been sick, etc...got behind on lots of stuff. Loves, Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice will it be to walk past your red tulips and think of your dad every spring morning?! I think that's great! Happy to see you blogging, too. I hope your upcoming trip will give you a chance to breathe and relax before getting back to your busy life! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! two people actually read my blither!
    thanaks to 2 of my favoirte nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny Aunt Heidi. I'm reading your blog sister. Is that the doctor that you and I house sat for in 1995? I'm very sad that you have felt the emptiness again of losing someone close to you. I hope you were able to grieve. I love you. . .

    ReplyDelete

About Me

very happily married in the suburbs of Maryland