Friday, August 13, 2010

My Dad

Today he would be 81! How can that be? I hardly remember him at 41, much less a retired man at 81. I hope he and Mom would have traveled this great big country of ours in their RV, and been to see all the grandchildren and children all over the country and been to all the state parks and driven to Alaska, and done England and been on cruises and danced and laughed together all these long lost years.

I wonder how his looks would have changed over the last 4o years. It is hard for me to imagine that, as I have such a hard time even picturing him in my mind. The photo below is of him coming out the door of a house before I was even born. It is dated February 1958. It must be the house on Lexington Street in Virginia. In has a hat he looks so handsome. He has a pipe and is dressed up. I think he liked to step out looking dapper. He looks so handsome and put together to me in this photo. This sits on the dresser in the guest room. I think I'll leave it in here in the office with me so I can say hello to him every day.






I wonder what he would think of this country and all that has happened in the last 40 years. I wonder if he had anything to do with the little souls sent this way to our family. Mostly Mike's children's children. But many others as well.

I know he would still have the bluest eyes like a beautiful blue sky day at the lake. He would still love babies, baby anything, even an earth worm according to Mom! He would be so glad to meet all the new additions to our family, no matter what branch they are on. I know he would still love and adore my Mom and all of her children. I know he would be proud of me and what I have become in my 49 years. I know he would be happy for Holly to be able to help raise the next generation of a Will Knight Kestner. I know he would be proud that both Kate and I are physician assistants and love our work. I know he would be proud of Kate and her daughter, and her ability to let us all still enjoy the lake as a family. I know he would be honored to have so many fine young grandsons to carry on the Kestner name.

I know he would be a computer whiz kid! He was impressed with computers in 1971. He would have had all the computers between now and then.

Below is one of my next favorite photos. This is Dad and his siblings in 1957. Dad is the blond in the front row. Alvin Knight, Dale Elwood, William David, Lois Elaine, And Uncle Wayne. They are all gone now. Aunt Lois was at our wedding, she was the last of the Mohican's. She died just last year of colon cancer.

Dad was a wonderful man. He changed the course of this family and brought me here to live with this wonderful family. I miss him often. And know he is with me often. A rainbow makes me think of him and lets me know he is around

Happy 81st Birthday Dad. I still miss you.


3 comments:

  1. Heidi, I am so sorry that you lost your dad at such a young age. I can't even imagine.

    What a handsome man he is! I love a put-together man! And Lois in that picture? Love that lady's style!

    Thinking of all of you today. Give grandma a squeeze for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing and a true grand legacy that man (& gram) have set forth!
    I am so glad & grateful for the opportunity we had to meet Aunt Lois. And because of that reunion we have met her wonderful daughter Coco.
    I know that if Alvin were alive today he would look upon all the generations and be proud. What a beautiful reunion he & gram will have one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks Marcy, that's so sweet of you to mention me...I think y'all are pretty wonderful too, and I hope one day to meet all your children...I'm still waiting for you to show up in South Texas with your RV...but, I would advise you to wait until our winter time, because summer's are a bit on the warm side!! I have recently told Heidi that my daughter Vanessa and I comment on how YaYa/Mom/Aunt Lois, if she were still with us, would have said that Vanessa's 11 month old baby's blonde wavy hair reminds her of her brother Alvin...the legacy continues....

    ReplyDelete

About Me

very happily married in the suburbs of Maryland