Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Snow and more snow!

So today we were supposed to get a dusting of snow. "no more than an inch or 2". I just estimated our accumulation: 8 inches.......and no stopping in sight. I think they got their bands of snow off! This afternoon I ventured out to "run a few errands" and the roads were awful. But I love love love my Buick Enclave and I had not a moments worry in all the non plowed roads. Managed to get to the grocery, which was packed. You'd think they were giving food away.

Now this particular Safeway is new (atually an old Safeway there, they tore it down and started fresh, a good thing for that smelly old Safeway...except for the garage). It has been redone and has a tight parking lot outside on a good day, but with no snow plowing going on and tons o snow today you'd think that all smart Kensingtonians would be parking underneath in the covered semi-warm parking garage which is a big as the new gigundo Safeway. (which as a side note I did not want because the backside of this monstrosity looks like a 2 story huge brick wall from my quaint little Kensington....but all the little voices of 'not in my town' did not win) Anyway I tooled under the garage, which I do have to confess Tim turned me on to one Saturday the heavens had opened up and I thought Noah would be floating by soon. We zipped in the store, all dry, while bizillions had their umbrellas turned inside out from the torrential winds and rain that day. I had not been using the garage since I was so opposed to it. But I digress, same thing today. Garage all but empty, parking lot, full of crazies trying to park anywhere they please and blocking everything. I parked in the Queen Bee spot next to the handicappers. And all was well.

My car warmed up and most of the snow melted off, I had a great shop, even got 2 items for Mom and went on my merry way.

From there the decision as to go on with my list or go home. It was only 2pm and the snow was supposed to let up. The eternal optimist decided to go to Home Depot. Another favorite place of mine! Again, place packed....with Men! They followed me around like puppies to see if they could help me. Loved that! Got my few items, with lots of help from the bored workers, made my purchases and started home.

Decided to fill my tank, to be safe and ready. Stopped by Mom's with her 2 items. She was out clearing off her car and looked to cute. I wish I could figure out how to get a cell photo in this thing. She had her wool hat on that she made, her wool mittens, that she made and her face was rosy and she was happy. It is a lovely light snow. I pray at 86 I am out clearing off my car and happy. Though who knows where I'll be, or who will care.

I had wanted to visit with Mom, but the roads were doing nothing but get worse, so home I came to Tim and Drew. Drew is I guess my great nephew. He is here for the weekend doing some honey do things for us, earning some spending money and getting away from Karen. He is living with her, his Aunt, as his parents have booted him out of the house in Florida. That is a story unto itself.

But we are warm, Tim has made a yummy rib eye roast and baked potatoes, Drew is working on Broccoli and I am happy.

Life is good.

3 comments:

  1. That was a great post. I love snow stories - I have decided that the best way to get snow and cold weather, you simply need to start a 6 week framing project, and finally the forcasted snows will come. (If it snowed everytime it has been forcasted in the past 4 weeks, we would have 4 feet on the ground.) They dug the hole today and concrete is being done next week. Finally after 6 months, I will be doing my first "Real" job with a "real" paycheck attached. So - of course, it will snow now. BRING IT ON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the chaos of a snow storm sound appealing! I can just see Gram out there enjoying life - come what may.
    Love to all, and keep up the posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish there was a pic of gram. wonderful maryland adventures...makes me feel homesick.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

very happily married in the suburbs of Maryland