Sunday, May 16, 2010

A belated Mother's day May 16, 2010

Mother's day snuck up on me this year. The gift we had made for Mom had not yet arrived, and I am busy with work and helping Tim with his 5 classes this semister. Luckily Kate and I were on the same page to post-pone Mother's day, but just a week as I had planned on being in Rehoboth and Kate needed a day to herself to be celebrated as a mother. I am not a mother so it was just another day to me if we could celebrate our mom the next week, hopefully with the DVD in hand.

So, we put off the celebration for Margie Jane Sturgis Kestner until May 16 at 11:30 at Kates. I brought a fruit salad and Kate set a lovely table. See below.



There were 7 of us. Mom, Kate, Garry, myslef, Karen, her friend Matt and nephew Drew. Kate had a great meal; develed eggs, green salad, fruit salad, ham sandwiches, mac and cheese, and the iris dishes of our Grandma.

We 3 sisters had a DVD made of about 20 old home movies Mom had given me over 20 years ago. I finally found a place to convert them to a format that will last (I hope). We saw our great grandma Mimi Mae Minnie Maude Browne Sturgis, Richard Earl Strugis, Emily Blanceh Sturgis, cousin Bruce, lots of a baby Michael Sturgis Kestner, a blink of Frances Katheleen Kestner, and a bit of Heidi Teresa Kestner. There is footage of Dad and Mom's wedding that Mom did not remember ever seeing! Dad and Suriotha.....wonderful. The 3 of us girls in the back yard at 4104 Blackpool in Rockville. A true gem of a DVD, all 1 hour and 45 minutes of it. A huge success and I'll work on getting everyone copies.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic gift! I bet she loved it. Can't wait to see the rest of it. And if/when you do get copies, you should send one out here with a list of who we'll be seeing on it so we know who we're looking at. Like - at 4 min. 33 seconds you'll see so and so... or something like that!

    Give Grandma a pain free hug for me! Miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a copy. My brother did the same thing for us a couple of years ago. What a priceless gift. Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

very happily married in the suburbs of Maryland