Monday, October 26, 2009

The death of a father

Today I learned of the death of an old beau's father. A man who could have been a father-in-law had life and love been different. I mourn the loss of a man who I grew to know over 5 years of love and courtship of his youngest son. I became one with a family of laughter and love. My heart is aching with a family I once new as family and time has trimmed the sails of our relationship. I am blessed to still call Justin my good friend. I suppose time cannot errase memories and events. I know his loss. I too have lost a father and will forever long to be in his company.
I saw Justin's mother as a patient on a fluke one day and all those emotions came rolling back, like a blanket once treasured, and tucked away for posterity. Thirty years is a long time to know someone. Mrs. Bartels is a gem of a woman. She raised 7 beautiful children, has buried 2, a loss no parent should have to bear. And now I know her heart is breaking from the loss of a spouse of over 50 years. Her husbands body was here, but his mind had left it's bodies safe keeping many moons ago. May Bill Bartels be able to be with all 8 of his children now and forever in a relationship they may all know and feel in their own way. Rest in peace William Bartels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

very happily married in the suburbs of Maryland